I create content that empowers brands & tells stories.
What does a copywriter do, exactly?
Some reasons why you might need my help…
- You’ve started a new business
- You’ve never thought about brand language & storytelling
- You’ve changed direction and your website no longer reflects who you are
- You need to get your ideas and content out there! Thought leadership articles, blogs and newsletters
- You don’t have time to generate regular content
- You have special reports that need writing, editing, & proofing
- You need to keep your tone of voice consistent – i.e. brand guidelines for your teams
- You need more engagement on community platforms
- You have an excellent idea for a social media campaign
I can help with one-off projects and consistent content:
- Case studies
- Thought leadership articles and profiles
- Email copywriting
- Website copy (About page or full site (4-5 pages)
- White papers/reports
- Direct mail
- Sponsored content
- Editing & proofreading
Book a call – 1-hour creative consultation (via phone or Zoom) to create an action plan, £75
Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Fill in my client brief here.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter, The Shift.
I started out in journalism at university, writing reviews for X-Campus magazine, and the Cambridge Evening News. I then WWOOFed my way around Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and the US for a year, moonlighting in yoga ashrams, rebirthing centres, biodynamic farms and private homes. I worked in programming at Foxtel and wrote for budget travel magazines in Sydney and Perth.
Back in the UK, I won a scholarship to study magazine journalism so moved to Peterborough and freelanced for lifestyle mags at the BBC, Emap, Bauer, IPC Media, & News International. I also worked in comms for advertising & PR agencies for the next few years, and did an 18-month stint in a corporate fraud agency – 🎧 yes, they really do rifle through bin bags!
In 2014, I started an online magazine called Rude about women and sex. I wrote copy, commissioned articles, gave media tips, and built an online community. I ran this for four years and it was featured in various media outlets. I’ve written 11 books on sex & relationships, health & parenting.
In 2016, I set up St Leonards Salon, a monthly literary event and co-working club to support the arts community. I hosted monthly talks and workshops with content creators and worked with arts organisations to promote creativity and writing.
I now have my own creative agency, Firebird, and work as a creative copywriter for various clients. Last project – a book on children’s health for Nestle and Publicis Healthcare. I’m on the committee at the NUJ London Freelance Branch, NUJ Freelance Industrial Council, and work with the RSA, Creative Industries Federation, Hoxby, and AllBright, a kick-ass community of working women from across the globe.
I’m a graduate of Anglia Ruskin University (BA Hons English) and have a postgraduate diploma in magazine journalism. Mostly, though, I’ve learnt from the school of life: on the job, via mentors, and via short courses, podcasts, and books. I’m a lifelong learner 🙂
My mission: Human connection in business. Helping you to connect, engage & inspire your customers to take action.